Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

So what is primitive?

Many people who are not familiar with the idea of primitive decor or primitive country may not "get it". Some may say, "How can you love something so much that is so worn out"? I say, "HOW CAN YOU NOT!" hehehe.....

Primitive to me is simple things, a simple life, no frills and everything from your family to your belongings is well loved. Think of the things from the past....that old doll that was so loved that it is now threadbare....that is primitive! How about that old kitchen chair with the rungs so worn from all those feet resting on them....that is primtive! I absolutely love chippy paint on an old cupboard, the idea that life back then was so tied up with daily tasks on the farm that no one had time to repaint it and keep it fresh....that is primitive!

I remember back when I was in grade school and we were not in the consolidated schools as they are now...each town had their own school. Being in the country, my local school was about 10 miles away in Harford, PA. This school was very old and still had the separate entrances for boys and girls....and this was the school that my own parents attended as their high school and started dating! Anyhow, I will never ever forget the old wooden stairwell leading to the second floor. It was very wide, and the middle of each step was worn down smooth. I loved those steps, and even though I was only 7 years old, I appreciated the thousands...millions of steps it took through the last century to wear those stairs down. That is the earliest recollection of my love of primitives and anything old.

I feel that primitive country is the love of the past and appreciating all that was sacrificed for us to live as we do today. I love feeling a wooden piece of furniture, running my hands over the smooth and worn surface, just thinking of the families that sat at that table to say Grace, or the mother that rocked her children in that rocking chair, and so on. Amazing how I can be instantly transformed back in time with a simple touch to furniture. To me, that is primitive country.

I strive to create items that would bring back memories to us or show signs of wear from too much hugging through the decades....I love the stained dolls and clothes that look as if it was sitting in a hope chest from one generation to the next waiting for some little girl to rediscover her and bring her out to love once again.

I hope that you learn to love this "lifestyle" as well. Whether you consider primitive decor to be sparsely furnished homes or those crammed with cherished heirlooms in every nook and cranny, it is "Fine Country Living" either way! LOL!

Until next time, Blessings!
Mary Jo

No comments: