Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What do you collect? This year, I'm into fabric!

As I sit here in my office/craft room, I look to my right and see my large shelving unit that was a gift from my husband for my birthday. Okay, hold on there ladies, I know that you are about ready to start bashing my hubby for such a "thoughtless" gift, but I am thrilled with it...and it was very thoughtful! My birthday surprise was new organizational things for my craft room and I couldn't have been happier if I received a diamond tennis bracelet....okay, let me rethink that...hmmm, okay, so the bracelet wouldn't be bad either.

But anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, my shelves. So I'm sitting here realizing that I collect fabric. I can't get enough of it! I think I am obsessed....I cannot walk out of a fabric store or department of the local Wally's (ours is still thankfully open) without at least one yard of prim fabric!

I can spend hours looking, feeling, and yes, sometimes smelling, the fabric. What is it that draws me to this woven material???????? I especially gravitate to the dark primitive colors such as browns and am always on the hunt for mustard yellow...that elusive beautiful color that I just can't get enough of, and is oh so hard to find!

I also enjoy the Americana fabrics. I have this one cut of fabric that has words all over the burgundy background. They are written in black script...Liberty, Freedom, Home, Laughter, Friends, Hearth.........I dream of the perfect doll for this fabric, pray for it to come to me in an epiphany, because it is only the PERFECT doll that could deserve such glorious fabric!

Now, even fabric begins to find me. My neighbors own an antique store that is across from our house. They are always having me rummage through boxes of fabric from auctions and their own inventory telling me to take what I want before it hits the dumpster. Nothing is more thrilling than finding treasures that others consider trash! My favorite so far is an 1800's blouse that I have carefully cut up and use for my Colonial Dolls.

I'd love to hear your favorite collectibles....feel free to let me know! Please, somebody out there tell me I'm not alone! LOL! You can send me your comments by clicking on the little envelope icon below this post!!!

Blessings to you and yours, Mary Jo.

No comments: