Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

New Arrivals & Something to Think About

I just returned from a wonderful trip to Lancaster County, PA, and stocked up on some great items for my little shoppe on the web! I just couldn't stop adding things to my cart, so be sure to stop by and check it all out, I don't think you will be disappointed! BACK IN STOCK are the Colonial style prints that I completely sold out of within days last trip, so if you want any, please stop in quickly!

I've also added a new prim doll, Daisy Mae, and she is prettier than anything! I am trying to make some new dolls, especially Colonial style, but with the rush of getting new items in, many orders (thank you!) and life in general with two little boys, I am a little behind, so please bear with me!

I made this trip to Lancaster by myself for the first time and enjoyed my husband's generous offer of me staying overnight by myself. Even though I missed him and my boys, it was refreshing to have some quiet time to myself, and I thank Russ for this little break that I so desperately needed! Love you hon!

While on this trip I learned a few things. First of all, I met two wonderful people while shopping at the wholesalers. The next morning, they happened to be eating breakfast at Dienner's the same time as me, and I joined them and enjoyed their company! Brenda and Carl are from Tennessee and own Country Tyme Primitives located in Traders Village in Kingsport, TN. If you live near there, stop by and check it out. Not only are they the most friendly and joyful people you would ever want to meet, but they have FABULOUS items and I know you will love shopping there. And if you are reading this Carl and Brenda, thanks for your company and I'm sure I'll see you again in our travels! And thank you, once again, for your kind words and appreciation for my handcrafted items that you so kindly came out to my van to see in person. You certainly made my day!

Later that day I learned a valuable lesson in life. I learned that not everyone can appreciate everyone for who they are. I may lead a sheltered life here in Springville, PA, but one thing is for sure, it's an honest and true life in which peace, simplicity and equality are at the very core of our home.

As many of you know, I love what I do, and most of that is creating folk art dolls depicting many different aspects of primitive life. Some are Colonial, some are whimsical, and some are black folk art. Unfortunately, not all people see items that are respectful, in my eyes, of other cultures and ways of life, and I actually had two individuals tell me that they felt that my folk art would offend others. At first, I was speechless, then after stammering a bit, I came to my senses. I am not offended in the least that they did not care for my items; afterall, art is something that is personal and not everyone will enjoy every piece that is created. What gave me pause was that someone would look at an innocent doll depicting a mother holding a child wrapped in a quilt as offensive; or, that a Santa Clause that had darker skin than the one we see plastered throughout the shopping malls during the Holidays would be deemed inappropriate.

I am so happy though that this experience has occurred. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason; and even though I may not, at this time, understand it, it was meant to be. I'm just waiting for that reason to come to me I suppose.

I have a little saying that I use as my signature on my ebay groups message boards and it is something that I think of several times a day.... "Let Your Life Speak".

That message, in it's simplicity, says it all in my book. :-)

Blessings to all!

Mary Jo

2 comments:

Bren, Cody'sMom said...

I'm a first time visitor to your blog and your online shoppes as I was doing a search for a friend who is interested in a 'simplicity' sign.

Your photos and the care you put into your products, the words you choose and the descriptions of your life that you share are truly lovely. Visiting has been like a leisurely stroll through my grandmother's garden with a guide that not only appreciates the view but also the effort and the value of the people who have given us some of the greatest riches we could hope for in family blessings, friendships that blossom, nurturing our loved ones and ourselves by creating and crafting art that cheers the soul.

Don't hesitate for a moment to create the things of beauty that express a variety of views as that's one of the greatest gifts of all: to see the possibilities that others may not see and act in love to broaden a horizon or affirm a heart that may be wondering if it belongs where it finds itself.

Mary Jo said...

Bren, thank you so much for your kind words! And thank you for your perfectly worded lesson that we all can appreciate....the fact that we all have different views and that we all need to broaden our horizons at times. Your comment is an inspiration to me, and I'm sure to others as well and I truly thank you, you made my day!

Blessings to you and your little Cody too! :-)

Mary Jo