Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Two Great Reads!

I thought I would share a great book that I just finished. It's title is "Porch Talk" Stories of Decency, Common Sense, and Other Endangered Species and it was written by Philip Gulley. The back of the book reads "Small-Town Wisdom for a Big-City World. In these witty, moving essays, author Philip Gulley recalls a time when neighbors gathered on front porches across America; a glass of lemonade in hand, the sound of crickets buzzing in the air - passing stories and wisdom from generation to generation."

If you like stories of small town life when times were more simple, this is the book for you! I read it cover to cover in one day, just couldn't put it down! And he has such a wonderful sense of humor, it's a clean, family book and so enjoyable; I think you will find that you enjoy it also!

Another great read is Early American Life magazine. My neighbor across town introduced me to this magazine last month and I was amazed at how wonderful it was! She owns a primitive home also (which is for sale by the way if you'd like to move to Springville, PA!) and is into the primitive lifestyle as well; in fact, her and her husband are very involved in Civil War re-enactments and such!

This magazine has featured homes that are to die for and wonderful articles on antiques, folk art and Colonial life. There are also many great advertisements and resources for reproduction furniture, rugs and artwork. Just a great resource for us prim lovers!

Enjoy!

Blessings,
Mary Jo

No comments: