Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Great CrockPot Recipe (an Ode to Michele)

It was a rainy day, not cold, but one of those early Autumn days that make you realize that Old Man Winter is just around the corner. But the best part of Fall and Winter is the comfort foods that go hand in hand with these seasons.

My all time favorite is beef stew. I didn't have beef cubes, so I used a chuck roast that was in the freezer. Many of you may already know, but I'm not a fan of cooking, and even though I'm not an awful cook, I'm not a great one either. So here's my recipe.

I put my frozen hunk of chuck roast I took out last night from the refrigerator (it had thawed just slightly) and placed in the crock pot. I cut up larger pieces celery, carrots and lots of onion (yummy) and placed all around the meat. In a separate bowl I mix two cans of store brand beef stock and one package of McCormick's Beef Stew powder mix. I mixed well and poured over the roast and veggies. I cranked the crock pot on high and let it go for a few hours. Later in the afternoon, I tossed in some frozen green beans (Birds Eye, my favorite) and a palmfull of instant potatoes....helps the broth get nice and thick as it simmers.

I didn't put in any potatoes (no room) so Russ mashed some and we poured our make-do beef stew over the mashed potatoes and served with hot bisquits. I have to say, I had two (and a half) helpings! I love this easy recipe and it was so soothing on this dreary day.

Give it a try, use what you have in the freezer or in the pantry and keep warm and cozy where you are. Oh, and by the way, typical Pennsylvania Fall weather is changing yet again.....it's supposed to be 85 and warm on Sunday! Barbeque anyone? LOL!

**Side note....the Ode to Michele in the title is a private joke between my online buddy Michele from Holly Tree Primitives and the Olde Prairie Register and some of our other primitive gal pals! Love ya Michele! ;-) Read her blog and visit her website from my listings on the sides!

Many blessings,
Mary Jo

4 comments:

annasam said...

Mary jo,
Thanks for the recipe. I am all about a crockpot. I have a quick and easy recipe over on my site. Come and visit me sometime. Thanks again

nanny*goat*primitives said...

MJ,

Thanks for posting your stew recipe! I think I'll try it this week!

Snort! Poor Michele! I can't help but think of my dear friend everytime I pull out that old crock pot. We love ya!

Deanna

Karen said...

MaryJo, this recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.

I just gave you an award...you can find it here: http://mycolonialhome.blogspot.com/

Karen said...

Mary Jo, I just gave you an award. You can get it here: http://mycolonialhome.blogspot.com/
Karen