Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008

New Line of Candles in the Shoppe!

I am so excited to offer a new line of candles in the shoppe! Keeping with my quest to have as many Pennsylvania made products as possible, I am now carrying the Old Candle Barn's famous handpoured candles!

If the name sounds familiar, it's because they have one of the largest retail shoppes in Lancaster County, PA. They are located right next to Kitchen Kettle Village in Intercourse, PA, and are well known for their highly scented candles. They also have an amazing retail shoppe filled with primitives and carry many of the same items as we do here at Fine Country Living Primitives and I love to explore their store. In fact, one visit over the summer allowed me to eavesdrop on a customer who drove from Dushore to the Old Candle Barn just for stocking up on their candles for the next six months or so.....now that's a loyal customer!

I'm offering a mix of both soy candles and regular jar candles, all are handpoured, and are reasonably priced at $10 for regular jar candles and $11 for soy jar candles. Some of the scents that I have are Fresh Pear, Hazlenut Coffee, Chai Latte, White Chocolate (ooooh, this one is awesome!), Balsam Fir, Cranberry, Fresh Mown Hay (really fresh and different), Spice, Peppermint, Roasted Chestnut and a few more! I also have incredible potpourri from the Old Candle Barn in Roasted Chestnut and Balsam Fir which are perfect gifts for friends and family or for using all throughout your home this holiday season.....a little goes a long way with the strong scent throw, and I know you'll really enjoy it!

A few people have asked if I carry more name brand candle lines like Yankee, Woodwick, and Keepers of the Light. Honestly, I've looked into these and decided against them for a few reasons. First, they are nice and all, but are also expensive both for myself and for my customers and to be honest, the candles from the Old Candle Barn are highly scented and in my opinion, have more scent throw than the expensive brands! Remember folks, the big name brands do a lot of advertising and fancy packaging, and that leads to higher retail prices to cover those costs. Finally, I try to offer as many products made here in Pennsylvania as much as possible. Of course, many items are the manufactured items that are made in other countries, and that's something that all of us struggle with ot only in buying retail primitives, but in our own clothing, housewares, etc.; I try to balance that with my own handmade items, other artisan's handcrafted products, my woven textiles and reproduction Colonial goods made right here in Pennsylvania, and the candles handpoured for 35 years at the Old Candle Barn in Intercourse, PA!

Many Blessings,
Mary Jo

1 comment:

Karen said...

Mary Jo, how wonderful.
I am familiar with The Old Candle Barn myslef...we go there often on our visits to the area.
Glad you are carrying them.
Karen