Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Newly decorated......

A few weeks ago, I was looking at my hutch in my kitchen which held about 40 of my favorite fruit jars in my collection. I love my mason jars, but the sparkle had gone out of the glass, so to speak. I was tired of dusting them, hearing them clink together when we walked by (it's an old house, floorboards do shake!) and as much as I loved them, I was sick of looking at them. Six years, six long years we've been in our "new" old house, and they were there from day one, and it was time for them to go.

I boxed them up carefully, dusted the shelves and started fresh and went shopping at my favorite primitives shoppe....mine! LOL! I rarely, and I mean RARELY buy anything for myself except for a few little things here and there, so this was a big deal for me.

I love treenware, and I love the Hearthside Collection decorative plates, so I knew that I wanted those incorporated in my new decorating. Berries! Gotta have berries, what's primitive without some pips? I grabbed a garland of cream pips with rusty stars. Lights, oh, I love those little mini lights with brown cord, so I hiked it upstairs to my stash of display goods for the shoppe and found a string. I loved the new little swans from Country House Collection I have, so I grabbed a few of those. And I needed a "base", and I hate to dust, so I ripped some black and tan checked homespun I use for display in the shoppe to soften things a bit.

I started playing, adding things I already had laying around the house and the few things from the shoppe, and before I knew it....yeah, this was it! Now we were getting somewhere......I just had to add my antique wall stencil that I bought at a local auction years ago that was just sitting in a cupboard waiting to be used (on the wall, literally!) and it was just too pretty to hide, and adds some interesting detail I think. And of course, one of my beloved Quaker Goin' to Meeting dolls had to be in there somewhere.

Here's the end result....

Photobucket

Photobucket



Not sure if you can read it, but that square plate that is the olive green color with a quilt block painted in the center reads "When life gives you scraps, make a quilt", and how true that is!

I just wanted to share this new decorating adventure with you all and maybe give you a few ideas as well!

Many blessings,
Mary Jo

No comments: