Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Here's a tip for container gardens

Do you have hanging baskets or containers of flowers that look old and tired toward the end of summer? The girl I purchase my hanging baskets from each year told me this trick. You may need someone to help you depending on the size of the container.

Tip your hanging basket upside out and wiggle it out of the pot. While someone else holds it, loosen up the roots at the bottom or completely cut about 1" from the bottom of your root ball....soil and all!

Add some new soil in your pot and have your helper plop the flowers back over and into the pot. Soak really well, better yet, use your favorite liquid feed.

In a week or so you will begin to see new growth coming from your containers and/or baskets. This worked great, I couldn't believe it! My hanging baskets of petunias went through a battle with aphids and white flies this summer (4500 live ladybugs I had shipped in and release ate those suckers up!). This gave them their beauty back, and I'm sure it will work for you!

Just thought I'd share!

Many Blessings to you all,
Mary Jo

No comments: