Drama, Romance, Intrigue...

Love. Early American Style.

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Something my husband gave me....

This is an excerpt from a book on Colonial/Early American Times that my husband passed on to me and I just love it.

Noah Webster, "Advice to the Young" 1834

"In your mode of living, be not ambitious of adopting every extravagant fashion. Many fashions are not inconvenient and expensive, but inconsistent with good taste. The love of finery is of savage origin; the rude inhabitant of the forest delights to deck his person with pieces of shining metal, with painted feathers, and with some appendage dangling from the ears or nose. The same love of finery infects civilized men and women, more or less, in every country, and the body is adorned with brilliant gems and gaudy attire. But true taste demands great simplicity of dress. A well made person is one of the most beautiful of all God's works, and a simple neat dress, displays this person to the best advantage."

Since my husband, and especially myself, dress simply and plain, he knew how much I would appreciate that "Advice to the Young" even though I'm not so young anymore. LOL!

Many Blessings,
Mary Jo

1 comment:

The Farmers Oldest Daughter said...

Very Interesting reading. Maybe a lot of people should follow that today. I am like you, I just dress simply. w